Monday, October 22, 2012

Ombre walls: EPIC FAIL

I’ve admitted defeat. The ombré walls in the craft room are a no-go. My fifth attempt on the weekend was the deal breaker. Even with tips and suggestions from two professional painters, good quality glaze, all the right tools, and spending an hour getting the colours just right, the ombré effect was a total flop. {Sorry for the crappy picture quality – it’s a small room in the basement with no window or natural light.}

ombre wall fail

I gave up after two hours when it was obvious that all I was doing was making the wall look increasingly crapp. So back to square 1. Actually, square pre-1, because I repainted the wall white to help cover the ombré crap. I painted the wall next to it white too – you’ll see why in a minute.

room 2

See the painting leaning on the ledge? I decided to at least try painting an ombré affect on canvas so all the time and money I spent wouldn’t be a total loss. The painting looks kinda splotchy, but it looks a lot better than the wall did. Here’s a closer look {it’s still wet} – I think I’ll buy a big canvas and create a larger version to hang in the craft room.

painting

I’ll be doing something else with the two white walls. Last night, I thought I’d do stencilling on them. These are some designs from Cutting Edge Stencils that I was considering.

image  image image  image
Clockwise from to left: Zamira, Houndstooth, Birch Forest, Birds of Paradise Damask

Then I thought, seeing as one of the walls under the ledge is already white, why not paint the other wall under the ledge white too, tape off a design, then paint the walls blue and pull the tape off. First I thought I’d do diamonds. Then I thought plaid. But both would require a lot of measuring and making sure things are perfectly straight, and quite frankly, I’ve already spent too much time working on this room. Then I had an Ah-Ha moment – the Mulholland china pattern by Kelly Wearstler that I had originally planned to do on the bookcase and/or desk.

mulholland

So that’s where things stand now. I really wanted to have pretty ombré walls to show you today, but nobody ever said that design is always pretty!

I’ll keep you posted on the new plan…

On another and more successful note, there’s one week left in my Pits For Tits campaign. I’m way over my goal of $500 with a total of $770 raised so far, thanks to my friends and family and blog buddies :-) I'd love to reach $1,000 – if you can spare a few bucks, please click here and send it my way to support breast cancer research & awareness. My pits and I thank you! ♥

13 comments:

  1. Ahh that sucks Kelly. I hate it when you are all set on something and it just doesn't work out. But I have to say I'm loving your new idea with the Kelly Wearstler dish pattern. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your perseverence, Kelky! Your painting is awesome!!! Looking forward to seeing what happens to the white walls next! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your new plan. That looks do-able. I give you lots of credit for making the effort to get the ombre effect. Many bloggers would not confess to so-called failures, but that's how we learn. Thanks for taking us along on the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad! But glad you've come up with different solutions to get the look you are going for. I am a huge fan of cutting edge stencils, I had great success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An A+ for trying Kelly!
    http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that sucks, but kudos for the effort. If you couldn't do it, I won't even bother. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some things are set to try us !! I am sure the stencilling will look awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are certainly determined! Sorry that it didn't work out but I'm sure it's for the best and your new decorating ideas for the room will show that :) Paula @VanillaBeanBake

    P.S. Your comment for does not give me the option to respond using name and url so I have to use open id and this old address is the only one that works :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I changed a setting to try and stop the annoying anonymous spam messages I was getting - that could be why you can't leave comments the way you used to. Oh well, it's all good - now I know this is you, and the spam has stopped!
      Kelly

      Delete
  9. oh dear, I see how the painting has been going. So sorry it didn't turn out as you wanted. But I think your idea is a good one. I really like that room you show with the 'houndstooth' pattern (I also love their choice of prints on that particular wall -- the yang for the yin of the walls). You always have such great ideas. (Diane S.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no :( so sorry to hear this Kelly! But kudos to you for trying! I love the top left and bottom right pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer Kelly! Now I have no idea of the techniques for ombre painting however I am THINKING application might be similar to that what you do in painting the background for a sky. Simply: application of a base coat using different tones, using a pull and drag motion with a brush, blending with a wet line. Yes? No?

    OR .... as you are successful working on canvas and it is a small area have you considered tacking canvas to the wall? (It is a method often used by Muralists.) Just thoughts! -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mistake {well, one of them!} was trying to blend colours along a straight line. When I did the painting, I was more random and it worked a lot better. But it's OK, the walls ended up looking even better than I thought they would after moving on to Plan B :-)
      Kelly

      Delete

You aren't allowed to go away until you leave a comment!